Welcome to Autoworld Forum !

Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Close
Photo

Tomato Ketchup + Vinegar As Car Wax?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

jessietan

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

jessietan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
Guys, you might want to sit down for this. As some of you might recall, my boyfriend (BF) knows almost nothing about car maintenance (how? why?), so I was shocked when yesterday night he sent me a photo of his newly detailed car. Look below.

car.JPG

No, he didn't send his car to some pros. He did it all by himself. If that isn't shocking enough, imagine my shock when he said he used tomato ketchup mixed with distilled vinegar as his car wax!!!!!! It seems tomato ketchup and vinegar do clean brass, but as car wax?

My BF thought for the fun of it (!!!!), so he whipped up this combo of ketchup and vinegar as car wax. Even he was surprised that it worked so amazingly. My BF was shocked by the mirror-like appearance.

He said all he had to do was make the mixture a little thick, apply it all over the car, then wash off with plenty of water. Drying it would reveal the shine!

Amazing or what?!!!!

EDIT: smile.gif Happy April Fool's Day, everyone! Yeah, Bro Krismas, if the combo did work, how nice it would be...cheap.

Yet another post by Jessie Tan ©

KrisMas

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

KrisMas

Tokyo Drifter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
How old is the car?

A relatively new car (or paint job) would always look 'sparkling' and 'shiny' after a 'squeaky clean' wash (provided no oxidation occurred yet). Put it under the sun or a strong lighting and you'll see what is and what's not.

I guess the concoction your BF mixed up, especially the distilled vinegar, had dissolve and remove ANYTHING and EVERYTHING ON the paint including any contaminants stuck on it, revealing a fresh surface. Same like using a 'paint cleaner' whereby you'd 'deep clean' the paint. Yes there would be 'shine' but not too sure about the defects as they can only be remove by abrasives.

If that really worked then WE ARE ALL BEING CONNED BY THE VARIOUS MANUFACTURERS OF CAR CARE PRODUCTS FROM THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.........

But do tell us how the car really look when you see it in person yeah....cheers.

Btw, very nice car there. What is it?

jonlsl

Posted 01 April 2011 - 01:01 PM

jonlsl

Fast & Furious

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
QUOTE (jessietan @ Apr 1 2011, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys, you might want to sit down for this. As some of you might recall, my boyfriend (BF) knows almost nothing about car maintenance (how? why?), so I was shocked when yesterday night he sent me a photo of his newly detailed car. Look below.

car.JPG

No, he didn't send his car to some pros. He did it all by himself. If that isn't shocking enough, imagine my shock when he said he used tomato ketchup mixed with distilled vinegar as his car wax!!!!!! It seems tomato ketchup and vinegar do clean brass, but as car wax?

My BF thought for the fun of it (!!!!), so he whipped up this combo of ketchup and vinegar as car wax. Even he was surprised that it worked so amazingly. My BF was shocked by the mirror-like appearance.

He said all he had to do was make the mixture a little thick, apply it all over the car, then wash off with plenty of water. Drying it would reveal the shine!

Amazing or what?!!!!

EDIT: smile.gif Happy April Fool's Day, everyone! Yeah, Bro Krismas, if the combo did work, how nice it would be...cheap.

I agree with Kirsmas. Chances are there will be no more protection left on the car. So better put a layer of sealant or wax.

jessietan

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:22 PM

jessietan

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
Oh my, you guys all are so serious! smile_big.gif

I know a very funny man who once shared with me his greatest fear as a comedian. What he fears most is no one, absolutely no one, laughs at his jokes. Not boos or hackling...just total silence from the audience. Is the crowd angry, indifferent, sleeping, confused, what, what? smile_blackeye.gif

Today is April Fool, so I thought I give a funny (and fake) problem for you all to solve and argue among yourselves. LOL. I did try to warn Bro Krismas first, but he was so faaassst in replying! Can he read other people's post as they are typing?!! smile_big.gif

Some years ago, local newspapers tend to join in the fun on this day. I remember fake stories about rare animal species found in some jungle, even stories of 5-year-old boy genius. Unfortunately, so serious today!

Today, in local British papers, people have a good laugh at fake stories. Some of the popular ones are stories about Cristiano Ronaldo (a Portugal player) will now play for the Spain national team and another is about the British government introducing a new tax on clean air! Funny.

My friends and I are super childish on this day. A few years ago, my friends painted in white (using the shoe white for school kid shoes) on my car's bumper: "Free and Available...Call ..."

Oh my, I didn't see the writing and I drove around town with that message! Fortunately, my friends were merciful enough to put a fake HP number...otherwise, my phone would probably ring non-stop! smile_big.gif

Hopefully, next year, April Fool fake problems in Auto Detailing would be successful, ya? Hahaha.

Yet another post by Jessie Tan ©

vr2turbo

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,443 posts
May work, as tomato ketchup & vinegar are acidic base and can clean, but not as protection.

My American Brother in law once mentioned they use Vaseline to bring back the shine and gloss of faded paint..... smile_question.gif

cashloke

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:29 PM

cashloke

Road Warrior

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 966 posts
Muahahahahahahahahaha! April Fool Everyone!!!!!!! smile_blush.gif

vr2turbo

Posted 01 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

vr2turbo

Forum Ninja